The Killing of an Author by Richard Crasta | Books That Stayed With Me

 

The Killing of an Author by Richard Crasta 

It's a book that touches your innermost soul — with all its raw emotions, desires, pain, anguish, and the feeling of injustice an Indian author can experience at the world's publishing capital, New York.

It's not a book — it's an act of bravery, a kick in the pants of the publishing lords, and an eye-opener for anyone who is awed by the glitter of modern-day institutions, be it the publishing world or any other modern institution.

Imagined illustration of a writer's manuscript surrounded by rejection letters and books representing the publishing industry, with the New York skyline at sunset.

An imagined visual inspired by Richard Crasta's The Killing of an Author — a writer's struggle against publishing conventions and the courage to retain his voice.

What stayed with me, beyond the anger and the humour, was the question of what happens when a writer refuses to play by the rules of an establishment that claims to decide what the world should read. The book makes you wonder whether the publishing world is always looking for the best writing, or whether it is also looking for writing that fits its expectations. And in that struggle, what gets lost is not just a book or a publishing opportunity, but a part of the writer.

Reading this book was a very different experience for me. I laughed, I cried, I was pained, I felt angry, I was shocked... but I smiled nevertheless and thanked the author many times in my heart for such open and honest writing, for such a courageous book, and of course, for such a gift of words.

Richard knows how to weave magic with his words and always maintains a wonderful sense of humour in his books.

It's a book that is not to be missed, and it's no surprise that it had to be self-published by the noted author. Who else would dare publish such a courageous book, after all?

About the book: The Killing of an Author — Richard Crasta's official website

Also on Goodreads: Read my review of The Killing of an Author


Comments

Popular Posts