Fishing

After many days, I again lay my hands on that "something" which I religiously avoid to be in contact with - newspaper. Especially, Indian newspaper !! you ask, why? Ofcourse, I would imagine so but do take a look at the main page of our typical indian newspaper (which day?? does not matter, really !!!). The top news stories go like this:
* XXX killed as bus falls off the bridge....
* Mumbai bundh called again on .....
* Navy captures pirates
* I am going for Jihad, he told mom
* Centre seeks states' views on adultery law change

I look at it again from the eyes of the watchman who stands at the gates of my apartment society. He is serving for a 12 hour duty, each night - somehow strains himself to keep awake, fight the night hours away, only to be able to earn a meagerly 5000 Rs per month (~100 USD per month). I look at the news again from his eyes - nothing makes sense. Why are buses falling off? Who are these pirates? What is this adultery law change?
Not one of these issues has any connection with the economics or welfare of a common person. Not one has any connection with the production of goods or services. Why are we so obsessed with politics and melodramatic events? Why is everyone hell bent on giving us the dose of melodramatic soap operas (thanks to Ekta Kapur) and a finer version of the same in the news paper stories? The answer perhaps lies with us all. Why do I seem more interested in idle gossip rather than any real action? Engaging in talks of politics or peripheral issues seems to attract all my energies. I am very enthusiastic whenever anyone in my group talks about Indo-Pak issues. but I am at total loss whenever there is something to be done on anything. Sadly but truly, our newspapers reflect our taste of life only. We, Indians, generally mistake talk for actions - and thats what our media publishers well realize. So here they bring -- a over dramatic representation of a murder story told in the terms of mother, son and a loving family. We are being served as per our palate.

As a nation, we do pay a huge price for the neglect of fundamental economic issues. We, by not having interest in the real issues and looking for sensationalism even in our newspapers - are the primary reason as why indian newspaper media seems to have grown a fetish with reports which spreads more sensation than knowledge, that requires more fishing for the reporters rather than research - fishing for trivia amongst the sea of travails.

Sad but true, I am getting shrouded by the darker thoughts and a deep trait of us - the fatalistic view "What is it to me? and anyhow what can one do alone?" ...... But No - somewhere inside I know that even one makes a difference. No newspapers for me please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaryan and Gurudwara/Church

कबीर - जैसे पूर्णिमा के चाँद !!

First Grief