The dance of time

Memories - It is a wonder as how they get recorded and how they re-appear. When you think back, you might see flashes in your mind - of a certain day, or a certain moment or a certain person. Memories are queer things, really. Ever wondered, how they are formed? Sometimes, even an insignificant detail gets recorded in our brain cells whereas sometimes, there is no visible imprint of something we promised ourselves to remember life long. I was surprised yesterday when I stumbled upon an old school photograph and I could not recall the name of my favorite teacher. It is equally queer to know as how the memories get activated - sometimes only by a smell, sometimes by a touch Or by a sound - even a taste and of course by the visuals. Music brings my memories alive - to the strongest level. Few songs that I heard till the cassettes broke down :) - if I hear them again, possess the power to travel me back right there, back in time and flying in space.

But hold on - these memories have a strange quality. They bind us to the past and stop us from living in the present. The meditators never cling to memories. Ever heard - "those golden days"? :) Well - especially like "golden days of my school”!! It is very easy to glorify the past though I know deep down that when I was living those past times - I was equally in hell (or maybe more then). Very interestingly, when we were actually living the past, we may not have enjoyed that much because then our mind was stuck in what happened before. It is all in mind and the trick of mind that keeps our inner skies dark with the clouds of past times (memories).

We must die to the memories.......


I sometimes wonder - do memories also stop my mind from thinking? Are they also hindering the flow of life? Is our mind also a function of what is stored inside? I know for sure that mind is an economist - a miser one. It does not want to spend much and likes to fall into habits fast. Perhaps it takes recourse to what happened in past - too easily, without even letting me know and thus not taking the pains of thinking again creatively. It does not utilize the learning of later life to make a better decision next time - thus failing my intelligent self and proving me a fool again :).

Listen to this - a friend of mine had a bad time in a relationship. After the worse was over and he was free again to make fresh choices in the life - what did I know that he did not? I knew that he would love the same girl again while he did not. How does it matter if this time she will carry a different name - the type is the same? Man is almost a machine. You may change places, you may change the things, you may change the friends - within few days, you will recreate everything. And take note here - MIND forgets the MISERABLE part but remembers diligently the pleasurable part. So my friend suffered from the loneliness, and finding the same woman again thought it is better with her than being alone - forgot the misery and recalled only the pleasures. Very interestingly, memories can be very short as well and at different times for different kind of events.

Who holds all the strings of this musical instrument, O Krshna!!


O ye, who see perplexities over your heads, beneath your feet, and to the right and left of you; you will be an eternal enigma unto yourselves until ye become humble and joyful as children. Then will ye find Me, and having found Me in yourselves, you will rule over worlds, and looking out from the great world within to the little world without, you will bless everything that is, and find all is well with time and with you. KRISHNA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaryan and Gurudwara/Church

कबीर - जैसे पूर्णिमा के चाँद !!

मैं तुम्हें पहचान लूंगी