कबीर - जैसे पूर्णिमा के चाँद !!

 My humble attempt at studying the lovely couplets from Kabir. I have picked up a few and on daily bases, have been studying and translating one couplet. Started doing this around a month back and have started to get inebriated and drunk in his "wine". I hope you shall enjoy what you read in the page below and the colour will catch your soul as well .....


1) माला कहे है काठ की, तू क्या फेरत मोहे

    मन का मनका फेर ले, तुरत मिला दूँ तोहे।



2) कबीर' रेख सिंदूर की, काजल दिया न जाइ

    नैनूं रमैया रमि रह्या, दूजा कहाँ समाई।



3) मालिन आवत देख के, कलियन कहे पुकार

    फूले फूले चुन लिए, कलि हमारी बार।


4) पाथर पूजे हरि मिले, तो मैं पूजूँ पहाड़

    घर की चाकी कोई न पूजे, जाको पीस खाए ससांर।


5) लिखा लिखी की है नहीं, देखा देखी बात

    दुल्हा दुल्हन मिल गए, फीकी पड़ी बारात।


6) आखिर यह तन खाक मिलेगा, कहाँ फिरत मगरूरी में

     मन लागो यार फकीरी में।


7) कबीर टुक टुक देखता, पल पल गयी बिहाये

    जीव जनजालय परि रहा, दिया दमामा आये।


8) कबीर वैद बुलाया, पकड़ के देखि बाहिं

    वैदया न वेदन जानसि, कारक कलेजे माहिं।

Called the doctor, he checked my pulse

Could not diagnose anything, the pain is in the heart


9) हमन है इश्क मस्ताना, हमन को होशियारी क्या?

   रहें आजाद या जग में, हमन दुनिया से यारी क्या?

I am inebriated with love, why be conscious anymore?

Whether I stay free or in the world, why befriend the world anymore?


10) तिनका कबहुँ ना निन्दिये, जो पाँवन तर होय

      कबहुँ उड़ी आँखिन पड़े, तो पीर घनेरी होय।

Do not condemn/slander the weak, like a straw

 which gets crushed under your feet

The same straw when swayed by air, if ever falls in

 our eyes, gives a lot of pain.


11)  कबीरा सो धन संचिये, जो आगे को होई

      सीस चढ़ाये गाँठड़ी, जात न देखा कोइ।


12) कबीरा सीप समंद की, रटे पियास पियास

     समुदहि तिनका करि गिने, स्वाति बूदँ की आस।

The sea shell is perennially thirsty

     It is in the hope of that one drop of 

     Swati (Arcturus constellation) 

     and discards the entire ocean as if its a straw.


13) क्या मुख लै बिनती करूं, लाज आवत है मोहे

      तुम देखत अवगुन करूं, कैसे भाऊँ तोहे।

How do I face you and pray, I am embarrassed

    I commit follies daily, as you watch,

    how can I be worthy of your love


14) प्रेम ना बाड़ी उपजै, प्रेम न हाट बिकाये

      राजा-परजा जेहि रुचै, सीस देय लै जाय।

Love is not that you can grow in fields

    Love is not that you can buy

    It is a feeling that makes no difference

        whether you are a rich or a poor

   If you want it, you have to be ready to die

      ( give your head  - the I / the mind /the ego)

     And it shall be yours !!!


15) मोर फकिरवा मांगि जाय,

      मैं तो देखहूं न पौल्यों।

      मगंन से क्या मांगिये,

      बिन मांगे जो देय।

      कहै कबीर मैं हौं वाही को,

      होनी होय सो होय।।

I am a fakir, and go to beg

But I saw that all are beggers 

Why to beg from the beggers 

Why to ask when HE gives 

  without asking for !!

I have given myself up to Him

I don't ask for this or that any longer

I am content with either way, with any way 


16) चली मैं खोज में पिय की,

      मिटी नहीं सोच ये जिय की।

      रहे नित पास ही मेरे,

      न पाऊँ यार को हेरे।।

I went in the search of HIM

But somewhere deep, a thought kept knocking

That he is perhaps always near me

Wheresoever do I wander, I shall not find him


17) कटी जब नैन की झाईं, लख्यौं तब गगन में साईँ।

      कबीर शब्द कहे त्रासा, नयन में यार को वासा।।

When my eyes started to see, 

I saw him in the (inner) skies.

Wandered a lot and so many words confused me a lot

While he was, all the time, within my eyes.


18) अखियाँ प्रेम कसैया, जीन जाने दुखदै

      राम सनेहि कारने, रो-रो रात बिताई।

The eyes are red with love

Do not mistake it as a disease

I wept throughout the night

For the love of him.


19) कबीर भाटी कलाल की, बहुतक बैठे आई

      सिर सौंपे सोई पिवै, नहीं तो पिया न जाई।।

      हरि-रस पीया जाणिये, ते कबहुँ न जाइ खुमार

      मैंमता घूमत रहे, नाहीं तन की सार।।

This is a place to drink but many come 

        and get nothing

You have to offer your head to partake that drink

Once you drink the Hari-Rasa,

      that hangover will always remain

You will forever be immersed in that joy, carefree


20) सबै रसायन मैं किया, हरि सा ओर ना कोई

      तिल इक घट में संचरै, तो सब कंचन होई।।

I have done lots of experiments 

But realized there is no alchemist like him

Just one drop of him, if it gets, into you

Can transform the entire being to gold.


21) आई न सकौं तुझपे, सकूं न तुझ बुलाइ

       जियरा यौंही लेहुगे, विरह तपाइ तपाइ ।।

Even after that glimpse of yours, 

Neither can I come to meet you

Nor can I call you 

Will you let me suffer these pangs of separation? 

Will you let me die with the agony of it?


22) कै बिरहिन कूं मींच दे, कै आपा दिखलाए

      आठ पहर का दग्झणा, मौपे सहा न जाइ।।

Either take my life or unveil yourself

I can no longer bear this excruciating agony 

Of living without you


23) कबीर हरि की भक्ति से, संसय डारा धोये

      भक्ति बिना जो दिन गया, सो दिन साले मोहे।।

When I soaked in your love, I realized that all my doubts and worries got washed away

Now to think of the day that went by without your love

gives me such an excruciating pain.


24) अखियाँ तो झैन परि, पंथ निहार निहार

      जिव्हा तो छाला पारया, राम पुकार पुकार।।

Eyes have dark circles now, they are continously 

  watching over the way from where you may come

My tongue has gotten blisters, they are incessantly

 calling out your name. When will you come to me? 


25) बिकल चहुं ओर को धाऊं, तबहु नहीं कंत को पाँऊ

      धरों केहि भांति सों धीरा, गयौ गिर हाथ से हीरा।।

I may keep wandering and searching in all directions.

Somehow, I realize that I will not find you anywhere.

I am suffering the agony of one who has dropped his diamond and lost it. Pray, how can I endure this pain of losing you?


26) छिन ही चढ़े छिन उतरे, सो तो प्रेम ना होय

      अघट प्रेम पिंजर बसे, प्रेम कहावे सोय ।।

That which waxes and wanes is not Love

It lives deep inside your body (and heart) 

And never ever  lessens

Only such is known as Love.


27) जिहि घट प्रीति न प्रेमरस, पुनि रसना नहिं राम

      ते नर इस संसार में, उपजि भए बेकाम।।


28) प्रेम छिपाय न छिपै, जा घट परगट होय

      जो पाए मुख बोले नहिं, नयन देत है रोय।।

Once his love blossoms in the heart 

Try much, it will not remain hidden

One who gets such blessings

  does not talk about it

His teary eyes are a giveaway.


29) छारि परयौ आतम मतवारा ।

      पीवत रामरस करत बिचारा ।।

      बहुत मोलि महंगै गुड़ पावा ।

      लै कसाब रस राम चुवावा ।।

Now that you have showered your love like an endless rain,  I am inebriated with pure bliss. I am drinking the life nectar to the full and dancing with joy.

But it was not easy to get to this treasure of sweetness

I had to drop taste of all **bitter** things (greed, anger, lust...) first and offer them at your altar.


30) चाह गई चिंता मिटी, मनवा बे-परवाह ।

      जिनको किछु न चाहिए, वो ही शाहमशाह।।

Let go of desires and your worries will go too

Only those who get rid of cravings, are the true kings


31) नैनों की कारी कोठारी, पुतली पलंग बिछाई ।

      पलकों की चिक डारिके, पिया को लिया रिझाइ ।।



32) कबीरा यह संसार है, जैसा सेमल फूल ।

      दिन दस के व्यवहार में, झूठे रंग ना भूल ।।


33) तन मन धन बाज़ी लगी हो,

     चौपड़ खेलूं पीव से रे, तन मन बाज़ी लगाया ।

     हारी तो पिय की भइ रे, जीती तो पिय मोर हो।

     चौसरिया के खेल में, जुग्ग मिलन की आस।

      नर्द अकेली रह गयी रे, नहीं जीवन की आस हो ।।

The stakes are high. Its a game of dice with Him and I have wagered my life and soul

If I lose, then I would be his. If I win, then He will be mine

In this game of dice, my prayer is to get both dices on the same square. He shall meet me there...

If my dice remains alone ever, what do I play (live) for.


34) उठा बगुला प्रेम का, तिनका चढ़ा आकास ।

       तिनका तिनके से मिले, तिन का तिन के पास ।।

The energy of love can surprise you

 (like a heron who seemed motionless till now), 

it is like that cyclone that can move twigs to the sky.

As His love arises, the twig too flies and this meets that

The twig has nothing more to ask for, it is with the one now to whom it belongs.


35) भीजै चुनरिया प्रेम रस बूंदन 

      आरत साज के चली है सुहागन 

      पिय अपने को ढूँढन 

With that one drop of love, my entire being is drenched.

With that light drizzle, I am filled with happiness and bliss.

The worship has, as if, started on its own. Prayer lights are lit and a deep longing has arisen (to find you). The bride is now set on her journey and will not rest till she finds Him.


36) साहेब है रंगरेज चुनरी मेरी रंग डारी 

      स्याही रंग छुड़ायके रे दियो मजीठा रंग ।

      धोये से छूटे नहीं रे दिन दिन होत सुरंग ।।

He is a master dyer

He has colored my entire being with his magical colors

He has cleansed me of all the dark stains

And has imbued me with such eternal divine colors 

that the more I wash, the more it shines. 


37) भाव के कुंड नेह के जल में प्रेम रंग देइ बोर

दुख देह मैल लुटाय दे रे खूब रंगी झकझोर ।।

Dipping it in the waters of affection,

 from the fountain of feelings

He has poured and poured colours of His love on it

Rinsing and shaking away the bodily sorrows and dirt

He has dyed it just so well.


38) सब धरती कागद करूँ, लेखनी सब बनराय

सात समुंद की मसि करूँ, गुरू गुन लिखा न जाय।।

Even if I use the entire earth as paper to write on

Even if I use all the forests wood as my pencils

Even if I use the ink equivalent of all seven oceans

It will not be enough to write about the virtues of my Guru.


39) सब बन तो चंदन नहीं, सूरा के दल नाहि

सब समुंद मोती नहीं, यूँ साधु जग माहि।।

Not all the forest is sandalwood

Men of courage do not come in loads

Pearls are scarce even in the ocean

And so are the saints in this world !! 


40) जिस मरने से जग डरे, मेरे मन आनंद

कब मरिहौं कब भेंटिहौं, पूरन परमानंद ।।

Why should you be scared of dying?

I am longing for it to happen

When He gave us such a beautiful blessing of life

Will not meeting Him be the culmination of it?

I am waiting for that death, that meeting and that pure bliss. 


41) सुखिया सब ससांर है, खाए और सोये

दुखिया दास कबीर है, जागे और रोये।।

The entire world is immersed in the joys of living

It eats joyfully and relishes in its sleep.

But the one, within whom that longing has arisen

The one who has seen that one glimpse of yours

He is writhing with excruciating agony of separation

He is awake and his eyes are always welling up for you.

There is no rest for him.....


42) मरते-मरते जग मुआ, औरस मुआ न कोय।

दास कबीरा यों मुआ, बहुरि न मरना होय।।

If life is an art, death is no less. 

While living, One has to learn the art of dying too.

Seldom is someone dying with the right way as one has to prepare for it ....

Kabir says live right so there is no re-life and die right so that there is no re-death.


43) भरो होय सो रीतइ, रीतो होय भराय।

रीतो भरो न पाइए, अनुभव सोइ कहाय।।

Life keeps on changing. 

The full becomes empty and the empty gets filled. 

We always witness this duality - day and night, birth and death, health and disease, empty and full

It's only when we see that it is neither empty nor full

Then know that He has blessed you with right experience.


44) हेरत-हेरत हे सखी, रह्या कबीर हेराइ ।

बूंद समानी समुद में सो कत हेरी जाइ।।

हेरत-हेरत हे सखी, रह्या कबीर हेराइ ।

समुद समाना बूदं में, सो कत हेरी जाइ।।

After a long search, when I found Him

I realized that I was no more

Just as a drop merges into an ocean, what remains of her own self?

But this meeting is more than that !!

The ocean also merges into the drop and loses itself

The drop longs for the ocean and the ocean longs for the drop too

None remains !!

What remains is only that thread that joins them.


44) जो देखै सो कहै नहिं, कहे सो देखे नाहिं ।

सुनै जो समझावै नहिं, रसना दृग श्रुति काहिं

Eyes see but can not speak, 

The tongue speaks but has not seen

Ears hear but cannot explain it

The hands touch but do not know it

There is a thread that joins them all,

Search for that One.....


45)जा कारण मैं ढूंढती, सन्मुख मिलिया आई ।

धन मैली पिव उजला, लागि ना सकौं पाई ।।

He, who I have been yearning to see all along

One day, I saw Him standing in front of me

Oh, how much I wished to bow down and fall at his feet but .... how could I?  

I looked back at my stained self and then at his radiant glow. No, how could I touch his feet? 


46) ज्ञान को पूर है, रहनि को सूर है, 

दया की भक्ति दिल माहिं ठानी।


47) सतगुर मिल्या त का भया, जे मनि पाड़ी भोल ।

पांसि विनंठा कप्पड़ा, क्या करै बिचारी चोल ।।१८।।

सद्गुरु मिलने पर भी यह आवश्यक है कि साधना द्वारा मन को निम्रल किया जाय अन्यथा गुरु मिलन का संयोग भी व्यर्थ चला जाता है।

 

48) केसौ कहि कहि कूकिए, नाँ सोइय असरार ।

राति दिवस कै कूकनै, कबहुँक लगे पुकार ।।३६।।

प्रभु को निरन्तर आर्त्त स्वर से पुकारते रहो। घोर निद्रा में न पड़े रहो। दिन-रात की पुकार से, सम्भव है, कभी सुनवाई हो जाय और तुम्हारी पुकार लग जाये।

 

49) प्रेम गली अति साँकरी, तामे दो ना समाहिं ।

जब मैं था तब हरि नाहिं, जब हरि है मैं नाहिं ।।

The "I" has to go before He can happen. As soon as you are ready to let yourself go, does the opportunity arise for Him to descend.

Till the time, the "I" is - He is not. When He is then I am not.

There are no "two" possible there.  बूदं समानी समुद में ।


50) कबीर पशु पैसा ना गहै, ना पहिरै पैजार

ना कछु राखै सुबह को, मिलय ना सिरजनहार।

Animals neither keep money nor wear shoes. They neither keep any thing for the next morning. Even then, they do not realize God. 

Giving up material things only does not suffice for that meeting to happen. There remains more to be done....


51) निस दिन सालै घाव, नींद आवै नहीं

पिया मिलन की आस, नैहर भावै नहीं

खुल गए गगन-किवाड़, मंदिर उजियार भयो

भयो है पुरुष से भेंट, तन मन वार दियो ।।

Day and night, a blister troubles me,  How can I sleep?

I yearn to meet Him and this world attracts me no more.


The gates of the sky are opened 

 His temple is now revealed

I have met my beloved now 

And at His feet, I lay down an offering of my body and my self.


52) चल हंसा वा देस जहाँ पिया बसे चित्तचोर ।

सुरत सुहागन है पनिहारिन, भरे ठाढ़ बिन डोर ।

वहिं देसवा बादर न उमड़ै, रिमझिम बरसे मेह ।

चौबारे में बैठ रहो ना, जा भीजहौ निर्देह ।

वहिं देसवा में नित पूर्णिमा, कबहु न होए अन्धेर ।

एक सूरज कै कवन बतावै, कोटिन सूरज ऊँजेर ।।

O my heart! Let's go to that place where dwells my beloved, the ravisher of my heart!

There is no rope over there but Love itself is drawing the water from the wells

Clouds do not cover the sky over there but there are always gentle showers

O bodiless one! Do not sit on the doorstep. Go! Go forth and bathe in that rain

 There, it Is always full moon and never is dark

And who speaks of mere one sun

The land is illuminated with the rays of a million suns


53) सुमिरन मारग सहज का,सदगुरु दिया बताई

सांस सांस सुमिरन करु,ऐक दिन मिलसी आये।

Remind yourself of Him each moment and let that remembrance grow intense within you, so much that it becomes as natural as taking breath. This is the path for you to tread, He shall meet you on the way.


54) माला तो कर में फिरै, जीभ फिरै मुख माँहि।

मनुवाँ तो दहुँ दिसि फिरै, यह तो सुमिरन नाहिं।।


55) माया तजि न जाय अवधू , माया तजी न जाय ।

गिरह तज के बस्तर बांधा, बस्तर तज के फेरी ।

काम तजे तें क्रोध न जाई, क्रोध तजे तें लोभा ।

लोभ तजे अहँकार न जाई, मान-बड़ाई-सोभा ।

मन बैरागी माया त्यागी, शब्द में सुरत समाई ।

कहैं कबीर सुनो भाई साधो, यह गम बिरले पाई ॥

 However much I tried, I found that it is not easy to renounce Maya. I left home and lived only with my bedroll. Then, I left bedroll too and became an ascetic. But even when I renounced desires, the anger still remained. When I renounced anger, greed still lingered on. Greed went but ego persisted and vainglory, yet, remained with me. 

After walking a path full of such innumerable struggles, He blessed me with a detached heart, vanquished maya and gave me awareness in each word and breath. Kabir says that rarely does someone get such deep yearning to be able to walk this strenuous path and meet Him.


56) तोही मोरी लगन लगाए रे फकिरवा ।

सोवत ही मैं अपने मंदिर में

सब्दन मारी जगाए रे फकिरवा ।।

डूबत ही भव के सागर में

बहियँ पकड़ि समझाये रे फकिरवा ।।

एकै बचन नहीं दूजा

तुम मोसे बंधन छुड़ाये रे फकिरवा ।।

कहे कबीर सुनो भई साधो

प्राणन प्राण लगाए रे फकिरवा ।।

You have kindled His love in me, O Fakir

You have drawn my heart.

I was sleeping in my own world

You have awakened me with your words

I was drowning in the depths of this world

You held me by my arm and saved me O Fakir

Only one word and you have torn me off my bondages

Kabir says "You have united my heart with His, O Fakir! "



  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaryan and Gurudwara/Church

First Grief